This is a three sided whetstone with 800 Grit corundum on one side for fast sharpening, 2000 fine grit for fine honing and 5000 grit for polishing.
It has a plastic non stick base with water storage area in the bottom.
Also includes a flattening stone and angle guide to help with sharpening your knives quickly, easily and accurately.
Note: The 173 Kiwi knife is used as an example of how the sharpening guide is attached to a blade and is not included with the set.
1. Before sharpening your knife, immerse the whetstone in water deep enough to cover the entire stone for around 10 minutes or until the stone stops producing bubbles.
2. Place the stone on a suitable flat work surface. Start by using coarse (low # grit ) to set an angle.
3. Move the blade back & forth over the whetstone at an angle of 10 -30°, using gentle downward pressure. Start at the tip and finish at the base of blade.
4. Once an edge is produced, switch to fine side (high # grit )of stone and continue till edge is sufficiently sharp.
5. Always test the edge by slicing on a bias through a sheet of paper to ensure a completely finished edge. If you slice cleanly with no snags from heel to tip, the edge is completely sharp.
6. When finished Rinse stone and blade with water to remove grinding residue.