This Proyan Brand whetstone is a professional quality double-sided corundum whetstone with a 600 grit surface on one side and a 2000 grit on the other side. It comes with a plastic storage case and diamond flattening stone.
1. Before sharpening your knife, immerse the whetstone in water deep enough to cover the entire stone for around 10 minutes or until the stone stops producing bubbles.
2. Place the stone on a suitable flat work surface. Start by using coarse (low # grit ) to set an angle.
3. Move the blade back & forth over the whetstone at an angle of 10 -30°, using gentle downward pressure. Start at the tip and finish at the base of blade.
4. Once an edge is produced, switch to fine side (high # grit )of stone and continue till edge is sufficiently sharp.
5. Always test the edge by slicing on a bias through a sheet of paper to ensure a completely finished edge. If you slice cleanly with no snags from heel to tip, the edge is completely sharp.
6. When finished Rinse stone and blade with water to remove grinding residue.